Friday 9 September 2011

Durian lingers....

Walking around Singapore, particularly some areas, particularly Geylang, you will smell a very particular smell. A sort of overripe, slightly mouldy smell. You sniff your armpits. They seem fine. You eye your companion suspiciously and wonder how many days he's been wearing that t-shirt. And then you realise. It's not you. It's not him. It's Durian.

The Durian is Singapore's national fruit. I haven't tried one yet, I have to admit the smell has put me off, but they are extremely popular here. Mounds of them on stalls on street corners. In fact, whole stalls selling nothing but Durian. If you eat at a posh restaurant your desert may very well be accompanied by Durian flavoured ice cream.

So, for your delight and delectation, some Durian.



And partially obscured by the traffic light the wonderfully named shop 'Durian Lingers'. It certainly does.

I went to the doctors to get my prescription for thyroxine which I don't have enough of. It was extremely easy. I walked in and asked 'is this a doctor's?' The woman said yes, asked to see my Visa got me to write down what medicine I needed and my name and address. Within 5 minutes I had an appointment with a doctor and within 10 the prescription for my thyroxine.

The doctor himself was both very nice and very insulting at the same time. He clearly wanted to show me how much he knew about thyroxine related disorders.

Dr      Come in! Come in! Sit Down. So thyroxine....
checks my throat, (severe lack of  thyroxine can cause a goitre on the throat)


Dr    So, you haven't had an operation.

Me   Oh no.

He asks when I was diagnosed and what the symptoms were and he chuckles and nods knowingly at each one. Ah yes, tired. Ah yes put on weight. Then

Dr   Yes it's very common in women after the menopause.

pauses, perhaps noticing that I am looking fairly stunned.


Dr   You have menopause yet?

Me  No, I'm still menstruating.


Dr   So, how many children you got. Two?

Me  No, I haven't got any children.

Dr   Never mind, plenty time yet. How old are you.

Me  35.


Dr   Ah.You married lady?

Me  No. I...

Dr   Don't worry! Don't worry. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Me  I have a long term boyfriend ...


Why did I say that? Why did I feel the need to self justify? He has backed me into a corner of his social expectations in the most cheerful and friendly way imaginable.


He takes my blood pressure.


Dr  Your blood pressure is very low!

Oh great. Of course my blood pressure is low.

Me  Yes, I have been told that before.

Dr  Don't worry. Lots of people different pressure is normal.

And so it goes on.

But I got my prescription. I was surprised though, how quickly I was drawn into his world view. 'Single' ladies here are definitely thought of in a slightly derogatory way. There must be something wrong with you if you're 35 and not married. Can't get him to commit perhaps? Or still worse actually single.

And yet in terms of work Singaporean women are extremely high powered and all have jobs. As childcare is cheap it's the done thing to work. But clearly marriage and children should still be every woman's dream and top priority.

I, unmarried, without children or job, on a lowly Long Term Visit Pass sometimes feel I am at the bottom of the pile. For my health insurance the woman asked what I did. I said I was looking for work. She wrote 'housewife'. I only noticed later or I'd have made her change it. I'm afraid my greatest fear is happening. I'm becoming an Expat wife.


No comments:

Post a Comment