Wednesday 7 September 2011

Disposable Pants and other stories

Can somebody explain to me please why it is that Fair Price, the government endorsed supermarket, sells a bewildering variety of disposable pants for both men and women, but no lamb or beef, no oregano, parsley or thyme either dried or fresh and no feta cheese? I wanted to make Nigel Slater's lamb chop recepie, one of my UK staples and couldn't get any of the ingredients except the lemons. Had I wanted disposable pants there would have been absolutely no problem.

I'm feeling a little disconcerted. I've just had the landlords and the two estate agents round answering our list of things we'd like fixed at the end of our  first 30 days of tenancy. The oven has been fixed, I've been given a key to lock the grills on the window, the leaky pipe under the sink has been replaced but we have discovered, or rather I have discovered as the DFP has yet to do the washing up, that there's no hot water supplied to the kitchen. I spent quite a long time trying to find the right switch. I put it on my list of things to be fixed and kept not receiving a reply. They say it's normal for the kitchen not to have hot water here and that they won't supply it.  I had a conversation with the estate agent where she insisted that she had told me while showing me the flat that there was no hot water and I said no she hadn't and that it was certainly something I would have remembered. Anyhow, all done now. I'm just left with that unsettled feeling in my stomach.

The other reason I am unsettled is because I am starting to realise how difficult my work situation may be. I have started to have responses and interviews with kids drama companies and realise that if I had managed to get a dependent's visa it I would be able to do bits and pieces of teaching work here and there but with my lowly Long Term Visit Pass I can't. In the UK for most of my working life my work was made up of lots of different bit and pieces. I don't think I've ever had only one job. Here if I am to work at all I need to find one company to employ me for more than 15 hours a week. Or I can start a company, but I think this doesn't mean that I'll be able to do bit of work for other people. I'd have to create work for myself. I feel worried. But you never know what's going to happen or what will happen if the obvious doesn't work out.

There has been a lot of burning going on around here recently, (see below for some examples). Big rubbish bins at the side of the road, little shrines with tall, red joss sticks or candles, cakes coloured with the brightest and most artificial dyes imaginable. And not only cakes. Quite often on these shrines you'll find what looks like a whole ready meal in a polystyrene box. A bit like if we got a kebab and put it up on the alter for harvest festival for Jesus to enjoy in heaven. God loves kebabs.

You can buy all kinds of special things to burn. The idea is that these things you burn get sent to your dear, dead ones in the afterlife so you burn paper copies of the things that you think they might be missing. (See below). My favourite thing  I've seen for burning was a set of two brassieres, because after all one will still need good support for one's bosoms in the afterlife.


It's important to be sweet smelling and well coiffured in heaven, you never know who you might bump into!


Heaven would hardly be heaven without a Gucci handbag and a Rolex watch.



The orange thing is a cake. It makes fondant fancies look healthy and homemade.


Big burning...



Small Burning...

No comments:

Post a Comment