Thursday 10 May 2012

Addendum

I don't know how, but I forgot 'can' or 'ken' in my introduction to Singlish. 'Can' is probably the most useful word you can learn. It's basically an abbreviation. Instead of saying  (as I the ever verbose do) for example to a taxi driver
"excuse me would it be possible to do stop over on the left there? I'd be ever so grateful".
you could say
"Stop here. Can?"

You could also use it like this. For example if asked:
"Can you teach a class of overexcited seven year olds drama?"
I could reply
"Can".
Then if additionally asked
"And are you able to climb an imaginary wall?"
I could say
"Also can".

See. Very simple. Very useful. Can. Also Can. My gift to you this Friday.

1 comment:

  1. you've missed another useful one - Can one.... (of course it's achievable)

    ReplyDelete