Monday 30 January 2012

A quiet supper

For my new job I am obliged to attend training courses on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 7-9.30pm. Although this is quite a big ask in terms of time commitment on the whole I don't mind. I am a big fan of one of the teachers in particular and even though I feel I largely already know what he's teaching me, there's always more to learn and he is extremely entertaining. On the other hand anything that conflicts with lying on the sofa watching 'Masterchef' will sometimes feel like a bit of a burden.

My nearest food court is just across the road in the basement of another shopping centre called Orchard Towers. Many shopping centres in Singapore are themed by what they sell. The one I work in has lots of toys shops and amazingly expensive clothing for children, another sells electrical items, there's one you can go to if you need a bike. Orchard Towers is affectionately known as 'four floors of whores'. You shop there for a very specific product. Quite often Thai. Sometimes not quite the gender you may have been expecting - or perhaps it was after all.

Anyhow, that's where I go to eat my lunch, and supper on the nights I stay late if I haven't been organised enough to bring a lunch box. Not the upstairs with the ladies of the night but downstairs at the food court. Usually it's just any old food court though I was once there and noticed some extremely young looking girls sitting around a table with some older men. The girls were dressed in what looked like wedding dresses, or white prom dresses. My colleague raised his eyebrows and murmured 'four floors of whores'.

I popped over there this evening for a quiet bite before my training started and was greeted by this instead. At first I felt grouchy and put my fingers in my ears as the dragon and his three loudly drumming friends passed. Then I softened and enjoyed my suppertime entertainment. Well Toto, we're not in Canvas anymore...


Here we see our friend the water dragon checking out the noodle stand and thinking about what drink to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment