Monday 26 December 2011

Christmas in the heat

Lord, it's been a while since I checked in with you all. Sorry about that. I've been off having a lovely time in Australia, first delicious Melbourne and then jaw dropping Sydney. But I'm going to work backwards and start with Christmas.

Brunch is one of Singapore's specialities. All the big hotels put on very expensive monster brunches every Sunday. They cost around $150 upwards. This includes free flow Champagne and more food than you could ever possibly eat. More food than you could even try a little bit of each thing without feeling very sick at the end. There are roasted meats and vegetables, cheeses, sashimi and sushi, lobster, crayfish and oysters, puddings, cold meats, tempura, salads, stir fries and on and on. The Romans would have been impressed.

The problem, or rather once again my problem, is that I try and eat and drink $150++ of food and drink. The drinking bit is almost hard not to. Your champagne glass refills, as if by magic, every time you turn away. And as for the food, well I'm quite greedy by nature but you do get full amazingly quickly.

We were invited by friends to join them for Christmas day brunch at the Ritz Carlton and it felt suitably festive. It certainly makes a normal Christmas dinner look rather meagre. This was our second brunch, the first was the birthday party for one of these same friends.

I feel rather uncomfortable about brunch. There's something immoral about the excess and therefore the waste that these incur. Lots of Expats getting drunker and drunker while their glasses are magically refilled by the Filipino waiters and waitresses. 

As we walked into the enormous ballroom where the brunch was held we passed the desert table laden with cakes and huge panattones.  The DFP swerved me away from the gorgeous cakes. (Did I mention how much I love cake?)

That night as we were reading in bed before I suddenly realised I had forgotten to have any of the panattone and exclaimed in dismay.
"Yes you did" retorted the DFP. "You had an enormous slice".
And I had. When he reminded me I remember how it took up almost the entire (small) plate and that I'd had problems fitting other puddings on (but managed). But I had drunk so much I had completely forgotten. There's dieting lesson in there somewhere, but I'm not quite sure what it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment