Sunday 19 June 2011

The necessary party

Last night we had our leaving party, rather prematurely in my opinion as it's just under three weeks until we leave. This is a perfect example of how he and I differ in our view on time and timings. I tend towards the late while he is all about early. I drift and wander while he charges ahead. I want to pootle and look in other people's windows on my way to wherever. He wants to be first in line. (See previous entry about form signing at the Australian Embassy for evidence that his way could possibly be the right way to do things.)

To me though, a lot of the richness in life is in the drifting and the wandering. Clearly- what is more drifty and unnecessary than a blog? It's a delicious, selfish waste of time. Something one does only for the pleasure of writing it. I don't fool myself that anyone will be gripped by my meanderings.

Anyhow, back to the party. I hadn't organised it very efficiently. I sent out an email but hadn't followed it up with another reminder one and so numbers were fairly low and then quite a lot of people cancelled last minute.  The nice thing about that was it meant I had time to have proper conversations with people rather than feeling stressed and rushing between them. Even so this morning I realise there were a few people I would like to have spoken to for longer.

I like marking events with a party. I think they fill a human need. Perhaps it's part of being brought up Catholic where you mark the weeks with masses. Monks go through the day with different sets of prayers - lauds, matins, vespers. Baptism at birth, first holy communion, confirmation, marriage and finally funeral rites. Christmas has four weeks of structured preparation through advent. Easter all the rites of holy week before it.

We split our life up and give it meaning with birthdays and Chirstmases and New Years. I think it's important to celebrate birthdays, whether you want to or not. It's a part of how we give our life meaning and come to terms with the changes.

 And I do feel I've cut another of the ties of my life here and am a little more ready to leave. I'm scared. I'm excited. There's a lot of packing to do and there's still no lampshade on the sitting room light,  but I'm another significant step further towards my new life.

1 comment: